Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Practice Makes Perfect


11 minute drawing
  In my spare time, I enjoy reading about and looking up different artists and their work and one thing they all have in common is that they practice their craft. Just as Michael Jordan worked on his jump shots or the Williams sisters work on their tennis, in order to become great, you must practice. In school it was easy, I was practically forced to practice with live model drawing and painting sessions along with various assignments but outside of school, it takes a bit of work to get into the habit of practicing. Recently I found a cool site called pixelovely that allows you to set up sessions where they’ll show you figures or animals in different poses, very much like those figure drawing classes in college. You may have a few 30 second poses on up to 11 minute poses or longer.

  As I started with the 30 second poses, I was awful… man o man, I was rusty but in one 30 minute session, I went from awful to not half bad and that was just in one session. Imagine what could be done with continuous practice over a length of time… As someone once said, each time you draw [or paint], you get better and better. So here are some of my sketches from last night’s practice session, the good, bad and down right ugly :-)


5 minute drawing

2 minute drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think